Monday, February 16, 2009

BIRTHDAY WEEKEND! *clap clap clapclapclap*

Photo 271.jpg
Waiting on a text message. Will there be a bonus 4th Night?

Friday was National Riz Day. Yes, I made my birthday a holiday, and I don't care. Though I did go to work. But with the 3-day weekend coming around, no one was motivated to work, and my phone kept blowing up w/ Facebook notifications (thanks for all the birthday wishes, ya'll are awesome!). Nevertheless, I got out of work about an hour early and hit the gym to get a full workout on. I needed to summon the energy needed to go the distance for a full three nights.


Night 1.
The night starts off at Lucky Jack's on the Lower East Side, where I see my bartender friend Liam working the bar, as per usual. I show up, I throw down the gauntlet at 10pm.

"You, me, shots of Jager."

"No, man. I'm nowhere near ready. But you can take the shot."

And so the night begins. The shot of Jager started a night of extreme mayhem.

Next think you know, I meet this one girl who sits next to me and down goes another shot. And a theme was starting to come around. But not yet.

My friends Monique and Liz came by to have a few drinks with me and catch up on each other's lives. They then had to exit early since they were moving in the morning.

The scene at Lucky Jack's died down for me around midnight when I decided to respond to a friend's text to go to Cubby. Sure, I may have been a few hours late, but I figured if someone was still out, I could head on over to my next destination. And so I exited Lucky Jack's, and hopped on a cab to the West Village to my home bar, The Cubbyhole.

Just to spare you all the details, here was the rundown for the rest of the night: I was given plenty of alcohol, made some new friends, and had the kind of drunken fun that was a bit over the top, like, let's say, at Rock Boat level, if you were to combine all the nights of The Rock Boat into one late night. The bar closes up, I get on a cab, piss off the cab driver (I'll spare you the details on that), almost get arrested but paid off said driver to avoid that, and stumble on home, drunk as a skunk. The stumbling part, I can't quite remember. Seriously.

Day 2.
I wake up at 11:30am, hungover like no other, trying to remember how I got from the cab to my place, looking like a hot mess, as my West Coast friend Amanda would say. I grab lunch, watch a little TV, and then go back to bed.

I wake up late in the afternoon, and call off my usual Saturday Session @ The Cubbyhole. I just could not double up w/ the night's misadventures...

Night 2.
The night wasn't gonna be a repeat Night 1. I was gonna slow things down in the East Village, but still have fun. Anne and Vanessa came by as we shared stories over Pez and beer. The bar we were in wasn't so crowded as it was Valentine's Night and the usual folks were doing all that romantic stuff. The time seemed to have fly by, because Vanessa and I ended up getting kicked out of the bar at closing time.

Night 3.
It's karaoke night. I was ready to break out the vocals, and that I did. Megan came out from LI to meet up w/ me and watch me become the next Karaoke Idol. Ok, not really. The folks at the karaoke bar just saw me as a pro and were pretty damn impressed w/ my vocals. Megan had to make an early exit to catch one of the last trains back out of the city, but I continued to karaoke my way through the night, thanks to my newfound friends at the karaoke bar. I kinda knew that was gonna happen, because every time I do karaoke, it's never a shortened session. I have to keep singing my way through the night until (1) I'm too drunk or (2) it's closing time. And the kicker: I had to get up at 8am to help reconcile my church's bank account. Fun times.


So there you have it. My birthday weekend in a nutshell. Major thanks to all my friends, old and new and in between, for helping me celebrate my birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment